Friday, October 7, 2016

Boxspring turned baby gate!

I spent about a month staring at this queen size boxspring sitting on our front porch before I finally decided to use it another way. We didn't have a need for it anymore, but what we did have a need for was a really wide baby gate to go between our dining room and living room. Because our steps are set up weird and need railings added, I couldn't figure out how to put a baby gate at the steps so I just decided to put it in the doorway. Baby gates cost a small fortune considering they aren't used for that long, so this was an (almost) free one.



The first thing I did was take off all the fabric from the boxspring and all the extra pieces of wood to get it down to this point. 
Next, I cut it in half with a circular saw. 

As you can see there is pretty much space between the slats. I saved the other half of it and pried the slats off to add in between each one to be sure no heads or other body parts would get stuck in there.




After I filled everything in I had to do some other work to it. It needed sanded really bad and also there were extra nails and tacks in there from the fabric and other parts. I was unable to get the nails out so I ended up just cutting them off with our trusty sawzall. I didn't get any photos of this step but I used a small hand sander over it to make everything smooth and round the edges.


The last thing I did was paint it. Of course, like all my recent projects, I distressed it. I put a light blue paint underneath and then antique white on top. When it was dry, I lightly sanded it to let the blue come through. 


 To attach the baby gate, I used two small hinges on one end at the top and bottom and then a hook and eye latch on the other side so it can be easily opened by an adult. 


It also works great to keep the dog out of the living room while we are away so he doesn't get up on the furniture!



Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SUBSCRIBE

Instagram